Monday, September 19, 2005

"I'm sorry but there's no hope.. i'm truly sorry.."

I stared at her, barely believing my eyes. There she lay, eveloped by the sterile sheets, pale and fragile - a feeble shadow of the robust figure she used to be.. She's hooked up with countless white tubes and wires, feeding her the nutrients n energy her weak body desperately craves.. i turned away, valiantly attempting to suppress the suffocating tightness that bound my chest. Is this really my good friend? My inseparable buddy who's been with me through all that has happened in my life this past year?

I can't seem to find the remotest indication of life in her, as i looked at her still body, mentally shaking her, begging her to awake. The doctor's words echoed and ricocheted in my bewildered mind, like a chopper slashing viciously. Words so cruel.. so relentless...

"I'm sorry but there's no hope.. i'm truly sorry.."

Sorry? Hah. That has got to be one of the most useless words in the language. When has it ever succeeded to assuage the pain it was intended to relieve? Yet as i stole yet another surreptitious glance at my dying friend, all i can muster is an inaudible sorry. I've taken you for granted, i've neglected you, i've done everything that you've always accused me of doing.. and now i know sorry can't do anything at all..

"Her system's crashed and there's nothing else that we can do"

Crashed? Crashed. Meaning that i can never hear her sing again.. Meaning that if i made the painful decision of shutting down her support system, she would be lost forever.. I looked around me, for help.. for support.. and i find none.

I am in this alone.

"So what is your decision?"

I gazed at his expectant face, then back to hers.. Her cheeks were exuding a certain greenish waxen hue.. Wake up! I willed her to respond.. How i long to hear u sing again.. please...

Am i doing the right thing? Am i right to play God?
I can't fend off the questions that assailed my confused mind.. I truly am at the end of my tether, and somehow, i guess this is as far as i can get

No comments: